Halloween is right around the corner!
I know I know, school just started and we can still see summer in the rear view mirror, but some stores already have Christmas stuff out! Halloween is so much fun and I find it to be a really low pressure holiday which is always nice. Don’t get me wrong I love a good family gathering, but they are a lot of work between the cooking and cleaning and sometimes buying and wrapping gifts I think twice a year is plenty. Halloween is for the kids and it’s so exciting to see their little faces light up as they dress up as their favorite heroes and characters.
I like to celebrate Halloween all month long.
My nephew’s love making decorations and fun Halloween treats that’s how I came up with the idea for these delicious Spooky Halloween Cupcakes! Every year we try to do something new and also bust out some of our old favorites, I can say for sure these cupcakes will make a yearly appearance.
These cupcakes come together super easy! The most time consuming part is the decorating but that’s also the most fun! I just used box cake mix to make these cupcakes because unless I’m making a super fancy cake I actually like the taste of boxed cake mix but also it cuts down on the time it takes to make these. If you have an amazing chocolate cake/cupcake recipe that you want to use, go for it!
What You Need:
- Boxed devil’s food cake mix and ingredients on box required to make or ingredients for a homemade cake mix of your choice
- Black or Halloween themed cupcake liners
Marshmallows or Fluff Sandwich spread(the second time I made these I used Fluff and I found it stayed a little softer than the marshmallows but you can definitely also use marshmallows!)
- Chocolate Frosting
- Candy eyeballs
- Keebler elf shaped cookies original
- Preheat oven according to box and prepare the cupcake mix.
- Line muffin tins with your cupcake liners and fill about 2/3 of the way to the top or per the box instructions.
- Bake cupcakes according to package. While the cupcakes are baking put the Oreos in a Ziploc bag and crush using a rolling pin.
- When the cupcakes are done remove them from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Put the frosting in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in increments of 10 seconds to soften it a little, so when you go to frost the cupcakes it doesn’t pull the cake apart. I swear this truck is amazing and I wish I had learned about it years ago! (Reserve 1 Tablespoon of frosting for later)
- Sprinkle the frosted cupcakes with the crushed Oreos to give them a dirt look.
- Using the remaining 1 Tablespoon of frosting put a tiny dab of frosting on the candy eyeballs to stick them to your elf cookies.
- If you are using marshmallows put them in a microwave safe bowl add 2-3 Tablespoons of water and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir. If they are not smooth microwave and stir in 10 second increments until smooth.
- Take a fork and dip it into your melted marshmallows or Fluff and wrap it around your cookie by allowing it to drip off the fork onto the cookie and pulling away from the cookie at the same time. Go about 2/3 of the way down the cookie.
- Using a small created knife make a small cut in the top of your cupcake about the width of the cookie and gently push your mummy into the cupcake!
Enjoy your Spooky Halloween Cupcakes!
These are so much fun to make and the perfect dessert to bring to a Halloween party! So many people commented on these cupcakes when I brought them to a Halloween party last year, everyone thought they looked like a lot of work. I kept it a secret that they were actually super easy to make!
Recipe originally published on here.
My name is Jessica and I am a stay at home mom to a 2 year old boy, wife, Aunt, and blogger. In my blog Unbeatable MOMents I write about all things mom related recipes, crafts, activities, and anything else I find useful along my mom journey. If you enjoyed this article make sure to check out my blog and follow me on social media!