Giving to others is rewarding and it’s the right thing to do. But sometimes, it can be challenging to figure out exactly how to help. Here are nine ways to give your community and your neighbors a helping hand. Whether you have time, extra funds, or just the drive to help out, these ideas can help you make a difference.
Bring Awareness (and Donations, if Possible)
Donating money to a worthy cause is always a great way to support your community. But if money is tight for you, raising awareness is an easy, effective, and free way to help others.
- Recognize that social media shares add up; share freely and widely to garner support for a cause.
- As a business owner, take a position on an issue that matters.
- Get creative with sharing what you have (without writing a check).
Get Involved in Person
From volunteering your time to donating gently used goods, getting involved in person is one of the best ways to touch your community.
- Find volunteer opportunities near you to start helping ASAP.
- Start a project – like creating a community garden – and enlist others to help.
- Endorse charitable programs at work: campaign for your company to adopt a cause.
Choose a Career That Serves
If you’re at a crossroads in your career, choosing a path that takes you closer to charity might be the right choice. Think about these careers that can support your community.
- Pursue a role with your local parks and recreation department to help keep parks and streets clean.
- Learn CPR and become certified to safely care for infants and children in a home or center daycare.
- Earn certification as a licensed teacher to instruct children in your school district.
Whether you want to raise awareness, dedicate time to volunteering, or instill your passion for the community into your career, there’s a way to give back on the local level and on a global scale.
For more inspiring content, explore Words Between Coasts.